Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Roasted Baby Leeks With Thyme - Saturday April 17, 2010

(Image courtesy of David Loftus at JamieOliver.com)

For the veg portion of my prepare-in-advance Saturday night dinner, I made these Roasted (Baby) Leeks with Thyme, which I pulled from Jamie Oliver's "Cook with Jamie".

I have mixed feelings about Jamie Oliver. He's so ubiquitous that I don't really want to like him. But his shows are generally charming and great fun to watch and his recipes are straight-forward, almost always delicious and work. I guess I like him... This is his recipe entirely below.

Couldn't find "baby" leeks here in Singapore, so I tried to find the smallest leeks I could at the market. I prepped everything ahead of time and just stuck them in the oven right before dinner was served. We ate all but one of them.

• 20 baby leeks
• olive oil
• red wine vinegar
• 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
• 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced

"Preheat your oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6. I like to serve 4 or 5 baby leeks per person, depending on their size. Lightly trim both ends and peel back the first or second layer of leaves and discard.

"Drop the leeks in a pan of boiling salted water for 2 to 3 minutes to soften - this is called blanching. Drain them well (if there's too much water in them they won't roast properly) and toss in a bowl with a good glug of olive oil, a splash of red wine vinegar, the chopped thyme leaves and the garlic.

"Arrange the leeks in one layer in a baking tray or earthenware dish and roast in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes until golden and almost caramelized. Keep your eye on them - I've seen many chefs burn baby leeks when cooking them this way and it drives me mad!"


• from Cook With Jamie

2 comments:

  1. v cool. so when r u going to start cooking 4 me:P

    ReplyDelete
  2. so when are you coming to Singapore? :-)

    ReplyDelete